mybbs.co

Forgot password?
 立即註冊
Search
Hot search: 活動 交友 discuz
View: 57|Reply: 0

As a young league in what is basically a niche sport to mainstream America there

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

新手上路

Credits
QQ
Post time 2012-5-13 19:04:06 | Show all posts |Read mode
65K for a league match - that's a record for a non-doubleheader.Dallas. RSL - 2008 Conference Championship.When it comes to support though, it doesn't get better in MLS than Chicago. When they are on, the Fire fans can be the best in the league. Of course there will be vigorous debate about the list but I think you've nailed it.However, they still play in a minor league baseball stadium. It certainly didn't hurt to win the two MLS Cups.Of course the Fire matter to Chicago fans.Chivas USA.Imagine the intensity of BMO field if Toronto ever hosts a conference final. LARS.I'm curious as to how a great deal to the latino population, the Fire would sell out every game. I can see this degenerate real quick.So by this measure, my favorite team - the Earthquakes have never really mattered. My own personal take on this is that MLS will matter more when attendance is more strongly inflienced by on-field play than by group sales to thousands of kiddie soccer teams. No one moment. Shame since they have such an awesome stadiumSan Jose.Just not to many white people. Seattle.Kansas City. Or the other way I around.Now latinos, particularly Mexicans care about MLS because of Chicago, and it matters when they play.Sure, Columbus still gets crappy crowds, but their fan base seems far more engergized since that day. I think Dallas is too far removed from the heart of the Metroplex to really matter right now. Toronto.Though some REALLY solid media about supporters can do the trick as well. Houston. This realy, really sucks for the league. The team operated as a minor league franchise and the general public and media have played along with that.Matter is subjective, but I don't think I go out on a limb - even to the most ardent MLS supporters - when I suggest that MLS doesn't really matter that much to the American or international sporting scene.5.Teams that do not matter:Colorado.As a young league in what is basically a niche sport to mainstream America, there have been only a few moments, IMO, when MLS has mattered in the big picture sense.i think that this should be in rivalries section.In addition, if the Fire mattered a great deal to the latino population, the Fire would sell out every game. Fans are going nuts, smoke bombs and flares are goingoff; the joint is rocking.However, its the packed house for playoff games, Superliga games and the like that make Houston matter.However, there are a core of Chivas supporters and CUSA gets marks for being the anti-Galaxy, the workingman's club in SoCal. Marquis: pull you dyck out of chicagos ass. Sad to say. Beckham vs. I would call that a Beckham matters experience more than a MLS matters-type experience.Toronto certainly adds the drunken lout mystique to the league, and gives the league opportunity for international incidents. The 99 Cent Store version of Sears is problematic to market.It's about the perception of the general public of MLS (not JUST Chicago) mattering.Ever since, the Columbus supporters seemed to multiply.Colorado mattered when its what got Uncle Phil into the league.7.Originally Posted by Pablo ChicagoWow. I would call that a Beckham matters experience more than a MLS matters-type experience. I dont know, you probably dont know either your so confused. Now you have a fan jumping out of the stands to get at player whom the supporters think dissed the Galaxy franchise. No one instance.I've sorted scratched the surface here, and this post is getting too long.Another example is New England.Used to matter less than Dallas when they were at Arrowhead. Chicago mattered before the arrival of Blanco and we'll still be eliminating the likes of teams that matter *cough DC cough* from the playoffs long after Blanco is gone.I am also impressed that the list of MLS matters is growing and improving. 65K for a league match - that's a record for a non-doubleheader. Toronto at Columbus opening day (I think it was 2008) when a couple of thousand Toronto fans embarassed the Columbus faithful.Oddly - to me, at least - some of these instances have occurred as a negative reaction, rather than in simple band wagon-ing.Even with two MLS championships and the greatest team of all-time (I include the 2006 and 2007 Houston Dynamo teams), interest in the Earthquakes have always lagged.Great analysis and I totally agree.Mexican fans of all clubs typically love Blanco. no?Also the game was utterly INSANE (5-4 with goals from start to finish), which had to be a big win with the casual fans who showed up that night.They matter to the latino population a great deal.Next game, 8,000 fans show up.If that's a marker that makes MLS matter to people, then Chicago has done a bang up job.That's not the point. Fire fans are comprised of more than just latinos my north of the border friend.As a result MLS is now important to them.No one moment.2.Originally Posted by cthomer5000I would say LA Galaxy @ New York Red Bulls - 2007 edition. Now that's pretty damned impressive.(This may change when the Quakes finally get their own stadium and establish some sort of winning tradition with the new team).Originally Posted by RevoltI'm going to disagree with you here.I think you're kind of missing my point.Chicago was great prior to Blanco, don't get me wrong, but the general public doesn't care about the league because of Chicago if not for a guy named Cuautemoc.On the fence:Chicago.3. which is summarized in BOLD.Things are going in the right direction with this team.If this was a joke, you forgot the sarcastic smiley face.I'm going to disagree with you here. DC United.But the team can re-invent themselves next year. Team has a passionate fan base and lot to build on.Forget the Wahl-Donovan-Beckham spat.However. The first time MLS ever had a team sell out every game, and the fans litter the field with crepe paper.Its too bad Colorado is some damned blase; the notion of packed stadiums when these teams play each other would be a boon for MLS. The Revolution simply do not matter.I was going to make a sarcasm smiley originally though and make some kind of clever dig at myself, but decided not to, because I figure I've got a valid point about Chicago mattering as opposed to thinking they are fence sitters which Revolt stated.In no particular order, here's an incomplete list of times when MLS really matters:1. I'll stop here and just to see how much BBQ sauce I should douse myself with.How could that team never find a way to matter after that great experience - despite a terrific team with lots of recognizable American stars.Chicago matters. Sold out the joint with week's notice.I would say LA Galaxy @ New York Red Bulls - 2007 edition. Plus, their ownership just sucks.Though I think it's more the product and the game itself that we're talking about.That's how I see it at least.Things are headed in the right direction, but being a cut rate team in someone else's stadium is always going to be an issue. And this despite the fact they hosted one of the top times where MLS actually did matter - the MLS Cup versus the Galaxy when they drew well over 60,000 fans to Foxboro. Chicago mattered before the arrival of Blanco and we'll still be eliminating the likes of teams that matter *cough DC cough* from the playoffs long after Blanco is gone.6. no?Also the game was utterly INSANE (5-4 with goals from start to finish), which had to be a big win with the casual fans who showed up that night.Aside from the first few years of MLS existence, there have been some times of discovery that MLS matters.But things seem to be going in the right direction.Even with Drew Carey and the marching band, Seattle will be the first MLS team to consistently draw 30,000 fans to a game - and far more when a top international team comes to town.4. Plus, they have been daring enough to have a uniform that isn't red or blue.Red Bulls.

Use magic Report

Advanced Mode
B Color Image Link Quote Code Smilies

Points Rules

Archiver|mdiscuz

2017-2-22 05:02 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.187692 second(s), 34 queries , Gzip On.

Get a Discuz Forum